So, regardless of our work role, we can assume that most of us will have some interactions with people with a disability as colleagues, clients or stakeholders.
This insightful course provides participants with an understanding of different types of disability and looks at how we can go beyond compliance to create places, programs and communities that are universally accessible and celebrate diverse strengths.
Drawing on the social model of disability, and designed in partnership with people with lived experience, this course presents a positive and contemporary viewpoint and busts a few myths. It shifts the inclusion paradigm from something we do to accommodate minorities, to something we do so everyone feels welcome and included.
Along with developing an understanding of disability and what it means in a modern world, this course develops inclusive attitudes and challenges outdated assumptions. We also explore a range of practical tools such as appropriate language, access issues, customising services, privacy and disclosure and developing genuinely inclusive cultures.
Topics covered include:
- Types of disability
- Social Model of Disability
- Language and communication tools
- Cultivating inclusive cultures
- Universal access and diverse strengths
- Customising services and supports to individual needs
- Representation and role models
This course includes
- Engaging, up-to-date materials.
- Take-home reference package and free online resources.
- All day catering and beverages - with dietary needs catered for.
- Post-course contacts for help and advice.
- Certificate of attendance.
Suite 9, 150 Hay Street
Click here for further details regarding parking, transport and location.
Our venue is wheelchair accessible, including toilets. However, if you have any special access needs or would like any support or adaptations to make learning easier for you, please let us know.
We offer a small number of scholarships to those who would otherwise be unable to afford to attend.
Scholarship recipients pay a nominal fee of $35 toward catering and materials.